Knitting in the North

A discussion of knitting, family, home and other stuff.

Cross One off the List

One down, only seven to go! Here is the Birthday Poncho. Since Jeannie doesn't get it until her birthday at the beginning of next month, I can't show you a modeled photo, but there it is all spread out on my dining room table. Here are the particulars: Pattern: Chunky Lace Poncho I understand the idea of naming chunky-weight yarn (because it's, well, chunky), but I still object to it's use in the title of an item of clothing. I don't know about you, but I sure don't want to be putting anything on my body called "Chunky". This is for Jeannie, who is anything but chunky, so I'm sure she won't mind. Yarn: Patons Shetland Chunky, Colour # 3038, 75% acrylic/25% wool, 3 skeins Started: July 12, 2006 Finished: August 06, 2006 Modifications: The pattern called for 3 skeins of Wool-Ease Chunky, and I used the Patons instead. The size small called for 48 inches of lace pattern, and I started to run out of yarn, so stopped at about 45 inches. Jeannie is pretty small and slight, so I have no worries about it fitting comfortably around her shoulders. This was a pretty fast knit, and the lace pattern was very easy to memorize. I am not crazy about the lace pattern itself, but I am one of those girly-girls who like pretty, lacy things. This is just right for someone who likes the look of lace without it getting too feminine or fancy. Here's a closer look at the lace: It is supremely satisfying to have finished another object, especially one that is from my gift list. I stopped by a LYS today, and picked up some Galway wool, and cast on for the mittens for my step-father. It's been a while since I've knit anything in the round, so I'm not convinced how smoothly it will go, but I'm so pumped at the progress I'm making, that I'm tackling it anyway. If I keep it up, I may have a chance to knit myself a sweater before winter is over!

0