Knitting in the North

A discussion of knitting, family, home and other stuff.

Norwegian Purl

After all the drama with Orangina, I decided yesterday that I needed a break. I have some leftover TLC Cotton Plus, from Katie's Girlfriend Shrug, so I started Tank Girl from the book Stitch 'n Bitch. I felt the need for something on bigger needles with thicker yarn. There's not enough yet to make for an interesting picture, I'm about 1 1/2 inches into the back, but I'll update you soon. Being someone who needs to be always trying something new, I decided to learn the Norwegian Purl while I make this tank. Because Tank Girl is a P2 K1 rib, this seemed like a good time to learn to purl with the yarn in back, instead of having to move the yarn every time. It's especially handy for the wrong side, which is obviously K2 P1, and that's when I tend to get irritated at moving the yarn for the single purl stitch. I spent some knitting time sitting at the computer watching these video instructions which I found very helpful. It's still feeling a bit awkward, but I think once I get it down, things will move along rather swiftly. If you're knitting ribbing, and don't like moving your yarn back and forth, or if you simply want to try something new, I highly recommend checking it out.

0