Knitting in the North

A discussion of knitting, family, home and other stuff.

Sockret Pal Swap

So I joined this swap a while ago, and now they've matched us all up! I'm excited about it, since it's more of a long-term swap - three different packages over the next six months, one of which is to include a pair of hand-knitted socks. I'm looking forward to getting to know another knitter, and brightening her day a bit. Here is the questionnaire for my own secret pal: The basics:How long have you been knitting? I have been knitting almost exactly one year! I learned to knit last fall at a Mom's Morning Out group. Do you consider yourself a beginning sock knitter, an intermediate, or have you been doing this so long you could probably knit a pair in your sleep? I'm a beginning sock knitter - I've made socks for my daughters, and have a pair on the needles for my son. I'm looking forward to making myself a pair one of these days! The measurements:While your pal may ask for some additional info to ensure a great fit, please provide your shoe size, or any other fitting related info you think is pertinent. (fiber related) I wear a ladies 7-8, depending on the fit. My foot is more long and thin than wide. Favorites:What colors do you love?Do you prefer solids or variegated?What fibers do you most love to knit with?Who do you consider your favorite yarn vendors?What projects (other than socks, of course*S*) do you most enjoy knitting? (fiber related) My favourite colours are turquoise, aqua, blue, green, anything in there, although I love most colours except the really bright neon-ey ones. I prefer variegated over solids, and love heathered yarn. I love any soft, natural fiber. I have developed a real love for knitting with wool, and love the finer weights of yarn. I love gift knitting, and will knit pretty much anything if I think a family member will love it. I have a hard time knitting for myself, so getting a pair of socks made just for me is a thrilling idea! Dislikes:What fibers can you not stand to knit with? To wear?What colors would you never wear? I can't stand knitting with the kind of synthetic yarn that feels plastic-ish or scratchy in my hands. The texture is so important to me, both while knitting and wearing. Because I'm up north in Canada, warm fibers are great! The only colours I would never wear are the bright yellow/oranges, I think. The Tools:Plastic or Metal? Bamboo or wood?Circs or Straights?DPNs or Magic Loop?Are there any knitting accessories you don't have in your collection but would like? I've always knit with metal, but have recently discovered the joy of bamboo needles. I've only used DPN's, although am intrigued by the other methods, especially 2 circs or magic loop. I don't have any DPNs smaller than size 1, and would love to find some! Oh, and I'm fascinated by this Chibi (?) thing I keep hearing about on blogs. The Extras:Do you have a wish list? If so, please share the link!Do you like sweet, sour or salty? (or all of the above? *S*)Do you have any allergies your pal should know about? (Certain foods, smoke, pet hair, etc)Favorite scents? Scents you can't stand?Do you collect anything (other than yarn and knitting toys of course)?When is your birthday? (month and day is fine!)Do you spin? Dye your own yarn?Your favorite author/band/vacation spot, anything you think will help your pal know you better... No wish list or anything like that.... I love tea, chocolate, anything ocean related. No allergies at all, thank goodness. My birthday is July 21. I've just learned to spin this summer on a drop spindle, although I haven't had much time for it since. I've never tried dyeing my own yarn, although it sounds very interesting! I love reading knitting related fiction, as well as murder mysteries and good Christian fiction. Hmmmm, I can't think of anything else to tell you, please feel free to ask if there is anything you'd like to know!

0