Knitting in the North

A discussion of knitting, family, home and other stuff.

Roll Call

I mentioned the other day that I should do a roll call. I was nervous to even think about it too closely, but it's actually not as bad as I thought. I was starting to feel overwhelmed with all the projects I have on the needles right now, but when it comes down to it, there are only five. (Thank goodness I finished that little hat!) Here they are: 1) The ISE scarf for my secret pal. This scarf is the first time I have tried spit splicing my yarn. I am amazed at how well it works, which is lovely. I was dreading weaving in all those thick ends. I had to run down to the LYS this afternoon to pick up some more of this yarn. It uses more than I thought it would, and I was worried that I wouldn't get the length I was hoping for. This also causes me concern, since I had bought this same yarn (Grignasco Jazz print) for a scarf for myself, and they are now out of the colourway I chose. Sigh. This may mean frogging the fingerless gloves I made for myself, for the sake of a few more inches of scarf.

2) Brian's socks got started, but I haven't really gone back to them in a few days. The ribbing is just so irritating - I hate knitting 1x1 rib, there is all that flipping around of yarn. I may even frog this and give it another go with 2x2 ribbing. I'm not sure what yarn this is, the ball band was gone when I pulled it out of the stash, but I believe it may be Bernat Sox.

3) The Pirate Sweater. I have the back done, and started the first sleeve. I'm not sure about the look of the sleeve in only the dark/light browns. I'm considering ripping this back, and doing the cuff out of the light blue from the body. In the meantime, I'm about to cast on for the front. I think I'll focus my energy on the scarf, though, so I can get it in the mail. The yarn is a GGH acrylic/cotton blend, that I picked up at Make 1 Yarns.

4) Sizzle. This is my second go for this pattern. The first try was out of Knitpicks Shine, and was coming along nicely, until I shrunk out of the size I was knitting. It is still in my pile, waiting for a trip to frog pond. I have cast on for this, and that is it! I have literally only knit a couple of rows on this, before getting guilty that I was knitting for myself when I have gift knitting to do. I love the colour of this yarn, it's Patons Merino in Peacock. I plan to add sleeves to this, and have reserved a book suggested by the designer with information on making short row cap sleeves. I can't recall the name, but I'll let you know if I ever get to that place. I had considered just picking up stitches and knitting on a longer sleeve, but I really like a cap sleeve, so I'm going to make that Plan A.

5) Orangina. I bet you'd all forgotten about her, eh? I haven't! She is still languishing in my knitting basket, and I'm pretty sure I won't come back to her until late winter/early spring. I don't have the heart to knit on this while in the dead of winter, and I have so much else to do, it's dropped to the bottom of the priority list. The yarn is Mandarin Petit, which is 100% Egyptian cotton, and so very soft in my fingers. I love the way that it feels in my hands, and think it will feel just as nice when I actually wear it.

So, there we go! Eternal optimist that I am, I tell myself I just need to focus on one thing at a time, and just do it! Oh, did I mention I work 9 of the next 10 days? I may not be around much for a bit, but don't worry. I'll be back. Hopefully, I'll have something finished to show you!

0