Knitting in the North

A discussion of knitting, family, home and other stuff.

My Postman Loves Me

I was hovering around my house yesterday, knowing that there are parcels on their way to me, and hoping against hope one would show it's face. The post came, I ran out immediately, no parcel. We went out on some errands, came home, no parcel tucked up against my front door. We sat down to dinner, and I said to Stuart, “How sad, I was sure I was going to get a package today.” No sooner had I spoken, than the dog started barking. My postman must love me, he made an extra swing by on his way home, and had his son run my International Scarf Exchange package up to the door! He knows how impatient I am – what a very thoughtful guy! I'm going to have to bake them some cookies. And look at the goodies that arrived! Isn't this scarf so lovely, so fitting, so perfect? It is made from Noro Silk Garden (soooo luxurious, it feels lovely around my neck), and the colourway is beautiful! It goes really well with both my coats (one green, one camel), but also great with jeans and a sweater, which is how I'm wearing it today. In fact, I think I'm now going to start wearing scarves around the house all winter, because I've felt much warmer and cozier since I put it on this morning. I may have to make myself a collection of house scarves! My wonderful pal, Craftylilly used a stitch pattern called Wheat Field, which is so fitting for a girl born and raised on the Prairies! When I look at the scarf, and think about the pattern, I also think of home. Also included was a lovely ball of handspun wool, in my most favourite colours, and some fun little goodies: a zipper bag, a notebook and pen, some fun magnets (Truth or Dare, very cute, and it will be a miracle if Katie doesn't scarper off with them). Thanks so much Jennifer, your thoughtfulness is so appreciated! To keep the fun going, Ms. Knitingale is having a sort of Comfort Swap, meant to help survive the holiday season. Here are the questions she asked us to post: 1. What is your favorite color? Turquoise, Aqua, Teal, Blues, Greens, you get the drift. Although I also like red, too. Especially that deep, dark, red. 2. Is there a color you dislike? I'm not a fan of the bright, neonish colours. For me, anyway. 3. Do you have any pets? What kind? I have a dog, named Judah. He got his name because I wanted to name our future son Judah, and my husband was so against it, that he gave the name to our dog so that I wouldn’t do it. Now I have a lovely son, Brian, and a lovely dog, Judah. 4. Is there any knitting-related item you’re longing to have? I have looked here, and not found, that clear highlighter tape you can use when knitting with a chart. Also, I don't have a Chibi, and think they're kind of cool. (A Chibi, for those of you who asked, is a funky little needle holder with needles in it. And, STR is Socks That Rock sock yarn.) 5. Are you a sock knitter? Yes-ish. I enjoy knitting socks, although all I've done is kids socks. But I have big people socks coming up! 6. Do you have any online wish lists? I have a Chapters wish list. 7. Do you collect anything that isn’t terribly expensive? Yarn! 8. What would make you smile or giggle with delight to find it in your gift box? Just to find a gift box will make me smile with delight! Everything else is gravy. 9. Is there anything that would make you cringe if you found it in your gift box? A big, scary bug? I don't know... 10. Do you have a favorite edible treat? Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Seriously. 11. Do you drink coffee, tea, cocoa, or….? I drink tea like water (in fact, more than water, which I really need to address.) I also like a nice cup of cocoa at times, but I'm not a big coffee drinker. I love the smell of fresh coffee grounds, but don't really love the taste. 12. Are there any dietary restrictions your pal should know about? Nope. 13. Do you celebrate a winter holiday of any kind and, if so, would you like to receive anything holiday themed? I'm a big Christmas girl, all the way. I have noticed the last few years that my Christmas spirit has waned, but I'm trying to keep it revved up for the kids. I think part of it is exhaustion, which I am trying to rectify this year, by doing as much ahead as I can. For example (please, don't hate me when you read this: Hubby & I went over our gift list today – we have 3 gifts to go, and we're done. Including about ¾ of the stocking stuffers. Yay, me! I love to give gifts. I hate to shop.)

0